Field, Wood and Bushcraft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Field, Wood and Bushcraft

Information forum for those interested in wood, field, bush craft and other outdoor activities.Come in and enjoy

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My 2nd Made up hatchet

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fireeze
Admin
Admin
Fireeze

My 2nd Made up hatchet Empty
PostSubject: My 2nd Made up hatchet   My 2nd Made up hatchet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 5:50 am

Hey folks ,

This is what I have been up to for the past few days.

I have a few axe and hatchets now and some of them need work done on them.

My 2nd Made up hatchet K0zcz

you can see here the comparison. The head of the one i made is from exactly the same type of hatchet as the bottom one. (also a clipper for scale)

The one here is a powerfix 800g hatchet that had completly snapped off of the shaft. I made the handle a longer because I found having that extra bit of length make a hell of a difference.

So after the battle of removing what wood was left in the head , I made a new a new shaft from a piece of hardwood that was in the wood stockpile ( Havent a clue what type of wood it is).

I then cleaned all the old paint and rust of with a belt sander and got rid of most of the dinks around the edges.

Next was to join the head to the shaft. I shaped the end so that it would be a tight fit. I cut the wedge slot in first before attaching. I then got a bit of steel bar and made the wedge using a belt sander to get the shape.

After attaching I rebated the top just a bit to allow me to give it a covering of epoxy resin (Not many people do this I know but I personally like to do it this way).

After more sanding getting it to exactly how I wanted it I stained the wood.

The trickiest part of all was getting the grip onto the handle.
I like to put extra grip on my hatchets and this time I went for something new (Bike inner tube). It took a lot of time and many curses to get that bloody tubing over the end of the handle I even had to make a frame to strectch it in 4 directions to get enough room to slip the handle through.

My 2nd Made up hatchet 295zdeb

I was glad I decided to use the inner tube as it really helps and feels a lot better.

Last thing to do on the handle was give it a coated coating of boiled linseed.

I had to sharpen the blighter now and thanks to British Reds guide It has a great edge on it now. ( Thanks Red)

My 2nd Made up hatchet 2vs3ygw

so here is the results, I am pretty pleased with it seeing as this is only the second one I have made a new handle for. All I have left to do is polish the head up a bit more
Back to top Go down
https://fieldandwoodcraft.forumotion.co.uk

My 2nd Made up hatchet
Page 1 of 1